3.08.2013

Smoker Build - Final Product

I was able to finish my smoker over the weekend and test it out on Sunday.  It worked really well, but I have a feeling I will need to insert a door at some point if I want to have the ability to add more charcoal.  Here are the basics:
 
Charcoal basket with a grill grate that sits about 2 inches above it.
 
This is a 16.5 inch ceramic plate that I put on the bottom most grate.  The purpose is to act as a heat deflector allowing for indirect smoking.
 
The ceramic plate wrapped in foil.  The foil actually turned out to be very beneficial during my first smoke on Sunday.  The ceramic plate got so hot that it actually cracked into many piece.  The foil is the only thing that held it together.  I'll have to go back to the drawing board on the heat deflector, but i'm thinking a pizza stone may end up working better.  During my first smoke I also added a tin baking bowl with a 2.5 inch lip.  This was placed in the ceramic plate and filled with water.
 
This is the 2nd grate in the smoker which is the bottom cooking grate.  It sits 5 inches above the bottom most grate, and there is about an inch between the grate and the top of the water pan.
 
 
This is the top grate which sits 11 inches above the bottom cooking grate.
 
Smoker with the lid off.
 
Smoker with the lid on.  Notice I also added a little handle with a cork on the end making it easier to turn the top vent on the weber lid.

No comments:

Post a Comment