4.24.2013

Grilled Triple Decker Quesadilla

We have a local Mexican restaurant named Tarahumata that we always go to, and one of my favorite meals there is their Quesadilla Especial.  It's a triple layer quesadilla including steak, chicken, and poblano peppers.  This is a replica taken a little further and done on the grill.  My wife and I both agreed that this turned out better than what we eat at the restaurant.
 
Ingredients:
  • Skirt Steak
  • Chicken breast
  • Poblano peppers
  • Flour tortillas
  • Portobello mushrooms
  • Quesadilla cheese
  • Seasoning: fajita & chili powder
  • Toppings: homemade guacamole, sour cream, tiger sauce
 
 
Step 1: Prep the weber.  I have foil covered bricks that allow me to keep half my weber with charcoal (direct heat) and the other half empty for indirect heat.  The grill griddle pictured below is mostly over the indirect half with the poblano peppers over the bricks and partial direct heat. 
 
I am cooking my chicken and skirt steak over direct heat.  The poblanos were rotated between direct heat and the griddle until they had a nice char to them and were very tender.  The mushrooms were cooked with a little spray olive oil on the griddle the entire time.
 
Step 2: Once everything is cooked slice it up.  Slice the skirt steak and chicken into thin strips.  I cut each poblano into three strips just so it would be easier to build the quesadilla.  Also pictured below is fresh shredded quesadilla cheese. 
 
Step 3: Crisp up your flour tortilla shells by placing them on the griddle for about 5 minutes.  Flip and rotate half way through so they are crisp on both sides. 
 
Step 4: Start building your quesadilla.  I pulled the griddle off the grill which allowed me to very easily build my quesadilla directly on my cooking surface.  Lay one tortilla shell down and then layer strips of steak and chicken to cover the bottom of the quesadilla.
 
Cover the meat with cheese.
 
Sprinkle some chili powder on top.
 
Step 5: Build the second layer of your quesadilla.  Place another tortilla shell on top of what you previously made and press flat.  Now layer the poblano strips and mushrooms.
 
Cover the veggies with cheese and sprinkle with some fajita seasoning.  I used chili powder on the bottom layer because the meat already had fajita seasoning on it.  Cover the top with another tortilla shell and press flat.
 
Step 6: Cook the quesadilla.  I had some leftover chicken and steak strips so I built a second quesadilla.  This one consisted of a layer of chicken and a little steak on half of a tortilla shell and then some leftover cheese.  I seasoned it a bit and then folded the tortilla shell over in half.  I also use my basset hound pictured below to help clean up any scraps.  Cook these on the griddle over indirect heat for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

 
 
Finished product.
 
Step 7: Slice the quesadilla into quarters using a very sharp knife.
 
Top with guacamole, sour cream, and tiger sauce and enjoy!  I'll warn you that this is a lot of food, and one quarter of the quesadilla was enough food for one portion.  We left half of the full quesadilla and the second one entirely.  Today's lunch and probably dinner will consist of leftover quesadillas!

No comments:

Post a Comment